December 12, 2013

thrift tip: don't doubt the thrift stores in your area

IMG_0026 
Ok, so I can't tell you how many times I've heard and gotten blog comments like "the thrift stores in my area just don't have good stuff like yours!"  That is THE biggest lie! (no offense) If you're one of those saying that, you're not trying hard enough! Let me tell you, when I moved a few months ago, I thought the same thing after 2 visits to my local Goodwill. I started telling people our Goodwill sucks... just because I didn't find much in those 2 measly visits! I didn't give up though. I went back to it a couple more times, and then I came home with the shirt. That's when I knew there was hope! This past time I went to our local Goodwill, I  found so many goodies I had to put some back! (Yes, I am THAT cheap that I even watch what I spend at the Goodwill haha)
IMG_0027 
Dress: $5.99
I don't remember the brand of this dress, but I loved it.  I didn't get it, but I'm looking back at this picture and regretting it!
IMG_0028 
Dress: $5.99
I thought this would make a cute spring dress, but since I found other goodies that I wouldn't have to wait to wear, I passed on it. 
IMG_0029 
Old Navy Cardigan: $3.99
This cardi was cute, but I just wasn't feeling it.
IMG_0030 
Jessica Simpson Dress: $5.99
Now, I hope you don't think I passed this dress up! This baby definitely came home with me :)
IMG_0031 
Vintage Pink Sweater: $3.99
Yeah, no.
IMG_0032 
Old Navy Shirt: $3.99
This came home with me!
IMG_0039
Sweater: $3.99
If you follow me on instagram, you already know this came home with me!
So what I'm saying here is stop doubting your thrift stores! Just because you didn't find anything the first time, keep trying, I believe there are hidden gems to be found in every thrift store!

14 comments:

  1. Amen sister!! Gotta have faith in the hunt :) LOVE the printed dress.
    www.paupertoprincess.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are some nice things in there. It's a pity we don't have goodwill in my country :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you! People always say to me that they can't believe I find the things I do. You've got to dig and use a little imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. go back and get that blue dress right now! the printed dress and leopard sweater are so good.

    xo nicole
    writeslikeagirlblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that Jessica Simpson dress!
    I love my local thrift stores! (I also have a lot of them where I live...) BUT I do think the chain stores have gotten really expensive... Value Village (aka Savers) where I live is now pricing the majority of their tops at $9.99 and their shoes at $10.99. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm finding that this is true at my local goodwill and salvation army too. :) -Alexandra Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree!! I think people are lying, don't know how to look, and are impatient. No offense to them. I'm usually in Goodwill for two hours every time. You have to look through every rack to get the good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  8. MMMmm yeah I'm one of those people haha. I still keep going. I guess it just gets frustrating to find something 1 out of every 5 times. Though I will admit that on those rare occasions the gettin' is good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can you take us virtual thrift store shopping more often? I thoroughly enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perseverance is totally key when thrifting. Speaking of, I might just have to go check our Goodwill tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great finds! I am still learning how to thrift…I am so overwhelmed.

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that pink dress! It reminds me of a watermelon :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thrifting when plus size is very hard unfortunately. I've gone multiple times and have yet to find anything. :( Love that dress you got though! I'm glad you have such luck.

    ReplyDelete